Re: dist-upgrade gone wrong -- Fedora.US package meta-lists are

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 18:17, Casey Boone wrote:
> or if you want to make sure everything is using upgraded/newer libraries.

Nope, not even for that.  Even GLibC can dynamically reload itself.

> apt-get upgrade does stop/start most things but not all.

Fedora.US is _quite_broken_ for FC3 right now.  Apparently the
University of Hawaii has had other issues to address recently (see my
other post).

> so your choices are init to a lower runlevel then back to the level you were
> just in or reboot both of which will take about the same amount of
> time but the simple reboot is much less hassle.

I never really init to another level unless I'm updating the nVidia
driver.

> i told him to reboot not knowing the fc3 repos were tanked (otherwise i
> wouldnt have suggested it, but instead suggested he try to do a normal
> upgrade via cd).

It's typically safe to do so.  I typically just plop the .isos in a
spare partition and install directly from the hard drive in 1/3-1/4th
the time.  No need to use CDs.

Normally "apt-get dist-upgrade" works perfectly, especially for
something like a ".0" to ".1" like FC2->FC3 is.

But even an "X.2" -> "X+1.0" like FC1->FC2 went pretty smoothly for me.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux