dist-upgrade gone wrong

OK Folks, I need some help, I hosed my system.

Last Sunday I decided to upgrade my home server from FC2 to 3 using
apt-get dist-upgrade.   First attempt failed, then I realized apt-get
was using a FC2 repository, so I changed the mirror list from 2 to 3,
and went about my way with the dist-upgrade.  From there everything
still worked so I didn't reboot.  Then at Monday's meeting someone told
me that not all of the services were restarted with the dist-upgrade and
I should reboot it anyway.  I forgot to then, but after trying to log in
yesterday, it acted funky. so I rebooted.  Grub boots up, then it boots
into my 2.6.8-1.521 kernel..... wait, that was FC2's kernel,  where is
2.6.9-1.667????   I guess the dist-upgrade didn't include the new
kernel.  so when I try to boot into 2.6.8, I get this.....

#Begin boot text

  Booting 'Fedora Core 2 (2.6.8-1.521)'

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1.521 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
  [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x100, size=0x14aab9]
initrd /initrd-2.6.8-1.521.img
[Linux-initrd @ 0x9fbe00, 0x2f62c bytes]

Uncopressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel
audit(1100949754.708:0): initialized
Red Hat nash version 3.5.22 starting

#end boot text

and then it just hangs there. So my question is, how do I get the new
kernel into the operating system to run?  I tried booting with the
recovery cd and that works to get me a prompt.  and I can chroot
/mnt/sysimage to get to be root on my box.  from there I used wget to
download the new kernel rpm from fedora.us, but when I try to install
it,  it says its already installed (because it is running from recovery
CD) so it wouldn't install.  So I add a new boot option to grub .conf
file (just in case) to use 2.6.9-1.667. But when it boots, it says
'Error 15: File not found'.

Any ideas on how to get this to boot?
Thanks,
Ray