Re: dist-upgrade gone wrong

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 11:30:14AM -0600, Ray Holtz wrote:
> Last Sunday I decided to upgrade my home server from FC2 to 3 using
> apt-get dist-upgrade.

I haven't tried this (yet), but I'll be somewhat surprised if it works
without some serious effort due to the dev -> udev move.

[...]
> and then it just hangs there.

Get rid of "rhgb" and/or "quiet" on the grub kernel command line.
(Hit "e" to edit the entry in the menu.)  See if you get a more useful
error then.

You might have to add "selinux=0" on the kernel command line.  I
wouldn't be at all surprised if the problem is there.  You may also be
missing /dev due to the udev conversion, and the older kernel may or
may not like that much.

> Any ideas on how to get this to boot?

If all else fails, get a copy of FC3 CD1 or the boot.iso and do an
"upgrade" (be sure to add "askmethod" to the boot: command line if you
don't have all the CDs so you can do an HTTP install).  That should
fix up any problems, but it won't actually upgrade any packages except
whatever you are missing.

Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve@kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/
Phone: (618)398-3000               Mobile: (618)567-7320