RH 8.0 New Install Hangs

Greetings All.  Just spent the tax return on a HP ze 1230. Dual booting XP
(Yeah, yeah, I have to learn it for work) and RH 8.0. Only, RH won't boot after
installation. Prior to doing anything to the machine I had the shop split the
hard drive into 2 10Gig partitions. RH installs just fine. Used all defaults and
mostly everything custom install. No errors during install. Reboot. Here's where
the system is hanging:

[<c01090ff>] system_call [kernal] 0x33 (0xeddddfc0))

Code: 89 50 04 89 02 86 53 04 86 03 89 50 04 89 02 ff 4e 10 51 9d
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout

Starting IP Tables [OK]
Setting Network parameters  [OK]
Bringing up loopback interface:

Then the system just hangs. I couldn't find a clear explaination as to what
loopback does/is.

Oddly enough the XP install boots just fine. One other limitation is the system
doesn't come with a floppy drive and I haven't bought one yet. So my only
recourse is to use the install CDs.  Which a friend downloaded for me and I've
used successfully on other machines.

I don't mind digging for explainations and fixes, but I have no idea where to
start with this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bonnie [See, I don't lurk all the time :)]