Re: RH 8.0 New Install Hangs

On Sunday 09 February 2003 05:14 pm, you wrote:
> Greetings All.  Just spent the tax return on a HP ze 1230. Dual booting XP
> (Yeah, yeah, I have to learn it for work) and RH 8.0.

 Hewlett-Packard Notebooks are notoriously difficult to install Linux on.  We
have had at least one CWE Lug member quit, after agonizing over the stupid
things for months. I say this not to discourage you but that such
difficulties are normal with HP equipment. HP is a Microsoft VAR; all the
clap-trap about Linux support is just lies. That being said, you may want to
check the following advice:
http://martincapital.biz/laptop.html
EXCERPT:
"I'm running RedHat 7.3 on an hp Pavilion ze1230 laptop.

 The kernel is 2.4.18-3.

 I had initially tried to load RedHat 8.0.  The distribution appears to load
with no problem, but when you boot the machine after installation, it hangs
when it tries to bring up the loopback device.  I've seen in some of the
kernel oriented web sites that there are still bugs in the loopback device
code, but I'm in no position to fix them, or understand them for that matter.
I had resigned myself to being stuck with WinXP, but tried 7.3 on the outside
chance that it might work.  I got lucky."

This was from: http://www.linux-laptop.net/hp.html

You can also look at the Hewlett-Packard  forums  http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com
but the advice is pretty worthless, on the whole.

http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x779193e260b0d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html
and
http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x779193e260b0d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html

> Only, RH won't boot
> after installation. Prior to doing anything to the machine I had the shop
> split the hard drive into 2 10Gig partitions. RH installs just fine.

Yes you may have to drop back to RH 7.3.

										HTH
										Jonathan