Re: RedHat 7.2 Beta (Roswell)

Brune, Charlie said:
> I've tried Roswell a couple of times.  Both times I installed it, I ended up
> reinstalling RH 7.1, which I've found to be very nice.

Which version of roswell did you try?  They remade the ISOs but didn't
bother changing the name the other day...  The first version came with
a 2.4.6-based kernel, the second has a 2.4.7-based kernel.

> My thoughts so far on Roswell:
>
> -- Do I care about the ext3 file system?  Probably not.  My machine *rarely*
> gets shut down without the "shutdown" command.  If I'd spend the bucks for a
> little UPS, it wouldn't happen at all.  The first time I installed the 7.2 beta,
> I tried ext3.  It is a little slower, but appears to be otherwise transparent.
> The second time I installed it, I went with ext2.  Momma, I'm home!

I bet you tried the first version of roswell.  That kernel *sucked*.
The problems were with the VM, not the filesystem.

The kernel in the second version of roswell is much better, although
performance still isn't quite what it was with the 7.1 updates
2.4.3-based kernel.  Still, I think having a nice stable kernel rpm
with ext3 is worth a *small* reduction in performance...  I'm sure the
final 7.2 release will be much better.

> -- It doesn't work with my sound card!   Waaaaaaa!   RH 7.1 recognized the
> built-in sound card on my Intel 815 motherboard.  Am I asking too much to want
> RH 7.2 to continue that tradition?  8-)   Actually, that's the MAIN reason I
> reinstalled RH 7.1 -- I gotta be able to play my CD's!

It's a bug in the driver, I think.  I've seen a few messages on
linux-kernel about it being broken.  I would expect that to be fixed
before 7.2 comes out as well...  (The maintainer of that driver works
at Red Hat.)