CUPS question...

I'm using FC4 and I haven't touched anything in my CUPS configuration,
except of course adding two printers. Well, sometimes one of my printers
gets whacked and I can't print to it. When I do an lpq, it says

$ lpq
Haley is not ready
no entries

I do the only thing I can think of, I restart cups. This works
successfully, but doesn't effect anything. What else can I do to remedy
the problem. Rebooting usually works, but I hate doing that
unnecessarily...

Thanks,
Ken