Re: Wanting opinions->uController OS

>  just remember to include the context of any comment
That's probably a good idea.

>Linux does _not_ support MMUless CPUs.
It does actually, starting with the 2.6 kernel a large chunk of the uClinux
project was integrated into the mainstream kernel.

> uControllers, RTOS applications, PICs, many embedded SCADA (and derivative
> applications) are not targets for a full-blown OS.
Well, a couple years ago, maybe not.
But that's changing, and Linux is leading the pack.
This is exactly where I'm coming from and what I'm researching right now.
MMUless microcontrollers like ARM's and Coldfires can now run the mainstream
Linux 2.6 kernel, or a uClinux patched 2.4 kernel.
These kernels can run alongside uClibc, busybox, MTD and somescaled down
initialization scripts to create a full blown OS(the uClinux distribution).
RTAI and the new RT-preempt patch provide real-time control capablities,
without sacrificing the features of a standard OS, and do so while
maintaining an open source approach without patent worries.

> You are apparently very narrow-minded in your comparisons.
> But given how you lacked some knowledge, history and options,
> I can't blame why you came to your conclusions.
If you can't make a point without insults, maybe you should take a break and
think about whether it's really a valid point.

> It's still a bunch of hacks compared to a true microkernel
Not really, Adeos basically removed the oldschool proprietary approach that
RT/Linux relies on and can be used without patching the Linux kernel, but I
agree, we are quickly moving off track, this is an thread for
rtai.org/vxworks lists

NZG