Re: Wanting opinions...

At 12:37 PM 6/20/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Not really, Linux supports MMUless arch's BSD does not.
>That's a big chunk right there.
>(ARM7, Coldfire)

Confirmed. That market is really one not for 'systems' (i.e. one upon which
you could run a network and system services like PF). OBSD supports a ton
of architectures, but, to my knowledge, all are minumly network-enabled
(with a standard stack).

>But the tone of the article was how terrible Linux was, and how great BSD was.
>I thought the implication was obvious since they didn't bother to mention in
>what areas BSD was superior, but just made a lot of vague global statements.

Of course BSD is superior, but it's superior in the ways which OBSD is
targeted. I would expect Bill Gates to touct Windows strengths, .. RH to
tout their strengths, et al. It's in the *reactions* to such statements,
where the listener fails to put it in the perspective of the speaker, where
the flame wars erupt.

>Now if the BSD crowd is willing to back off and admit that they do not have
>the same hardware base, as you have just done, and admit they they cannot
>replace Linux in a lot of situations, then I agree.

I don't think I know of a single BSD chap that would disagree with that
statement, just remember to include the context of any comment with your
interpretation.

>You are also ignoring RTOS support. Linux has got RTAI with Adeos support,
>and
>the fully preemptive mainstream kernel isn't far off.

Good piont! Remember, everybody you encounter in the mainstream O/F/N-BSD
crowd is viewing a 'network appliance' as a minimum hardware platform.
Don't forget the perspective!

uControllers, RTOS applications, PICs, many embedded SCADA (and derivative
applications) are not targets for a full-blown OS.

         Lee