Re: Wanting opinions...

At 11:31 AM 6/20/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>That's very nice, but regardless of how pretty they have implemented sprintf,
>it still doesn't run on 90% of the hardware I need to run it on, so it's
>pretty useless.

You must have some REALLY wierd h/w, OBSD currently supports 16 different
architectures.. I have never had a problem selecting compatible h/w, really.

OTOH, if you're talking about desktop applications, remember I said that
OBSD is **NOT** oriented towards that market - the strengths are security,
and h/w compatibility (from a processor & MB standpoint, NOT peripherals).

>As I prevously pointed out, I am not a net-admin, so I am probably not
>looking
>at BSD from the same perspective as a lot of you, but then again, neither was
>the original article which is attempting to make the point that BSD should
>replace Linux in it's entirety.

Sorry, but the original post asked about the Forbes article, and I
responded with the 'why'. I don't remember anybody saying OBSD should
replace Linux (except you), .. just as NOBODY is really saying Linux will
replace Windoze. Different tools, different applications, different
markets. I use Linux for many applications, just as I use WIndoze when you
OS alternatives exist.

>This is impossible, as they simply do not have the code base, their sitting
>around tweaking their server stuff to be super stable, which is good, but
>they are ignoring the embedded community and real time control.
>Not all systems are Pentium based.

You really should check out the HCL, then. Unless you're talking about PIC
(i.e. uController applications) level devices, OBSD has better support than
the majority distros & OSs. If it has RAM, a flash card & processor, OBSD
probably runs on it and has been used for a 'network appliance'.

>Here's a good article about this from Linus's perspective.
>http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/06/09/2128249

Yep. Note that Linus has no problem *whatsoever* with the BSD families. At
least he isn't prone to flame wars, as the writer suggested was expected
from the crowd.

         Lee