Re: yee-gads! i almost had it.

Nathaniel Reindl wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 03:07:04PM -0600, bntly.rhds wrote:
>

>>apparently if i want -rwxrw-r-- then i need to put 764 minus 666 which
>>gives me 098.  i don't know, but does that sound right?  umask=098 (aka
>>764)?
>>

>You take the complement of the mode you'd set with chmod.  This isn't
>straight-up arthmetic, either; these are logical operations.
>
>In binary:
>
>000 111 110 100 (in octal, 0764, set with chmod)
>111 000 001 011 (in octal, 7013, set with umask)
>
>You should notice a pattern here. :)
>
>FWIW, the modes work like this (with comedy ASCII art option):
>
>  ___ ___ ___
> /2^2/2^1/2^0/'
>------------- |
>| r | w | x | '
>-------------/
>
>2^2, if high, sets the permission bit for reading.
>2^1, if high, sets the permission bit for writing.
>2^0, if high, sets the permission bit for executing.
>
>Now, there are four groups (the special group isn't really included
>here, and it's often omitted since there aren't usually special octal
>modes you'd set on files) that comprise a full permission setting.  As
>mentioned already, the group furthest to the left is the special
>group.  The three following that, respectively, are the owner, group,
>and world groups.
>
>So, the permission set above (0764) would mean that there would be no
>special bits set, the file would be writeable, readable, and
>executable by the owner, the file would be writeable and readable by
>the owning group, and the file would be readable by the world.
>
>Now, in case anyone is absolutely curious, this isn't the only time
>masks like these are used.  Think about your IP address and subnet
>mask and the relationship between them.  Try ANDing and ORing them. :)

    all this trouble from a clean install even.  my favorite was when it
wouldn't get past a certain point in the OS and i had to reinstall.  i'm
sure i don't have a bad install disk, and i'm hoping i don't have a bad
computer.  i tested the media, so i know its good.  but i've had trouble
with java; which i found out i had to set the path by editing the
.bashrc file in my home folder, yet Azureus.jar still doesn't work and
the jrar.jar file won't work (compress, open files,) because it won't
find my rar program (same with gnuRAR).  i found that on the internet.
i found that umask thing in my DUMMIES reference book for FC2, even
though i'm using FC3.  thats twice i have found something that in my
opinion doesn't work as  it should.
    now i don't know, but on my monitor troubles, it could be that the
other monitor output port isn't getting enough power, but i don't know.
shuttles don't have much power because of the tight cramped space you
get when you start cramming stuff inside, but i was surprised when it
wouldn't work when i put my other agp card in and recieved the same
results.  so now i'm thinking thats a BIOS thing.  And Lord knows i'm
not going through that much trouble (i tried though) to make it work.
    OH!  i figured out how to configure YUM and up2date (from a posting
here), but /then/ i figured out how to configure it so that it would
download mozplugger, and gmplayer plugins, and make the softlinks, the
only thing i'm wondering is if version 1.7.5 is out, why is
mozilla-1.7.3 on the yum download list?  rhetorical question really,
don't need an answer for it.
    i'm going to study for a test i have next week, thanks for all the
help and feedback!  i will try to get up to a meeting, trouble is most
of them are conflicting with something!