yee-gads! i almost had it.

    greetings, i pulled out my reeference book and discovered the
heximal thing for fstab someone mentioned was 0 for full rights
(normally 7), and so on.  i found in the book how it was determined.
apparently if i want -rwxrw-r-- then i need to put 764 minus 666 which
gives me 098.  i don't know, but does that sound right?  umask=098 (aka
764)?
    if so, here's another question.  i was trying to edit my fstab
entry, here it is fstab and then mtab normally:

    * /dev/sda1               /media/usbdisk          vfat
      pamconsole,exec,noauto,iocharset=utf8,noatime,sync,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed
      0 0
    * /dev/sda1 /media/usbdisk vfat
      rw,nosuid,nodev,sync,noatime,iocharset=utf8,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,user=bntly_rhds
      0 0

    now, i have tried to change the entries from usbdisk to tyeblen, and
on just one entry (fstab or mtab) and on both.  upon rebooting the
&*@**&! has changed it back to the original configuration.  i also
noticed that there is a thing called LABEL=/folder.  where does that
point to?  if i'm asking to many questions, i'd appreciate the one being
answered about the fstab file, mainly on how i can keep it from changing
itself back to a different entry than the one i changed it to.  so here
goes:

    * why does fstab and mtab keep changing their contents when i have
      modified them as root.
    * what is a label, and how can i tell the computer that i want
      LABEL=/portney in fstab, and perhaps it should point to mtab?

    i think that is it.  have a good day!