Re: HTML in Emacs

Hi Ken,

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:44:29 -0500 UTC (7/29/2004, 1:44 PM -0500 UTC my
time), Ken Keefe in part wrote:

K> When I am working in emacs on html code, it does syntax highlighting,
K> which I really like. However, it won't let me indent my code the way I
K> want. I can't indent it at all actually. I can indent just fine in
K> fundamental mode, but not in html-mode (or any other programming mode).
K> How do I change this? Also, in fundamental mode, it looks like when I
K> indent, it is about 8 spaces wide, but I would prefer to have it only 2
K> spaces wide. Any idea on how to do this? I tinkered around in the indent
K> configuration group, but that didn't seem to have any effect.

download html-helper-mode which is not part of emacs... it will do this and
much more, auto putting tags in a region, auto updating timestamps, auto
completion, etc.. It will auto indent for you..

you can auto start html-helper-mode by adding this to your .emacs file

(setq load-path (cons "PATH_HERE" load-pathology))
(autoload 'html-helper-mode" "html-helper-mode" "Yay HTML" t)
(setq auto-mode-alist (cons ' ("\.html#" . html-helper-mode)
auto-mode-alist))

first line is for path where html-helper-mode.el is located
second line tells to load html-helper-mode automatically when starting
emacs.
third line tells emacs to enter html-helper-mode when you edit a file ending
in .html

K> This has nothing to do with HTML, but it is another quick emacs
K> question. I'm sure this is probably dumb, but I haven't been able to
K> find an answer. How do I use emacs in a terminal session. When I open up
K> console and type emacs it pops up an X window. I'd like to use emacs in
K> single user mode sometimes, but it always complains that X isn't
K> running.

hummm... I use it all the time in terminals to manage remote server files.
Check your .emacs file and .xterm

--
Gary