HTML in Emacs

I was hoping there are some emacs gurus out there to help me with a few
problems.

When I am working in emacs on html code, it does syntax highlighting,
which I really like. However, it won't let me indent my code the way I
want. I can't indent it at all actually. I can indent just fine in
fundamental mode, but not in html-mode (or any other programming mode).
How do I change this? Also, in fundamental mode, it looks like when I
indent, it is about 8 spaces wide, but I would prefer to have it only 2
spaces wide. Any idea on how to do this? I tinkered around in the indent
configuration group, but that didn't seem to have any effect.

This has nothing to do with HTML, but it is another quick emacs
question. I'm sure this is probably dumb, but I haven't been able to
find an answer. How do I use emacs in a terminal session. When I open up
console and type emacs it pops up an X window. I'd like to use emacs in
single user mode sometimes, but it always complains that X isn't
running.

Thanks,
Ken Keefe