Judicial purity [was Wireless Health]

> I asked him if it was true that his salary and all court costs were paid out
> of the fines he levied. I thought the old boy was going to throw an embolism,
> but he knew I'd appeal a guilty verdict on grounds of judicial conflict of
> interest.

If that's true in *your* case, why wouldn't *all* cases decided that way
(by a judge paid from his own fines levied) be subject to such a conflict,
and wouldn't it be ethical for judges recuse themselves from such duty in
the first place?

Or do smarter states have fines go to a general fund, which then pays for
lots of things, not just that district's court costs and judges salaries?

You know, sort of like how gambling revenues *do* go straight to the education
budget (just like they promised), and what they *don't* tell you is that the
previous contribution from the general fund is then reduced by the
corresponding amount. Net effect: gambling revenues mean an increase general
funding for other pork.

Mike808/