Re: OGG

Aaron Kenney wrote:
> Unfortunately OGG takes Linux or Mac to use it with today's software,
> now that Winamp has fallen to AOL. I have my doubts about OGG since
> it's basically non-commercial, none of the big dogs want to support
> it. MP3 on the other hand sounds like garbage, even at the highest
> bitrates, then the files take up half of one's hard disk space. Just
> remember that MP3s are portable to just about any system. I know that
> I am still too somewhat dependent on Windows, but a lossless WMA file
> still sounds best to me, and it plays in my car.
> OGG is supported in GRIP. In fact, GRIP will rip OGG audio if it's set
> up as such.
> Try this weird page:
> http://www.granneman.com/techinfo/linux/multimedia/setupgripforogg.htm
> Of course there is always the standard CD Audio, but why have 20 songs
> on a CD when you can have 400?
> -Aaron Kenney

Because of Ogg's free reference code and lack of patents, alongside a
superset of features, it is becoming increasingly supported.
In other words, Ogg is a "free add-on" in most software and xonsumer
devices.
It is even being used more and more in commercial software (e.g.,
countless games, and I'm sure the PS/3 devkit).

I agree that at this time, it is not as consumer-compatible as MP3.
But I completely differ with you versus WMA, especially given the
spyware included in WinAMP.
I have always ripped in MP3 for maximum compatibility, and for
non-corporate connected systems, I have MP3 codecs from Livna.ORG
installed on my Fedora Core and Debian Sarge systems.

Today I rip in both MP3 and Ogg.

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org
Currently Mobile