Re: OpenSource under Windows

On Tuesday, March 30, 2004, at 12:20  AM, <dsavage@peaknet.net> wrote:
> In actual fact, they've been selling their "SFU" as they call it for
> some
> time. They just haven't been publicizing it much.

That's not surprising.  What is surprising is that 1) it's free and 2)
it's being advertised.  That's important because Microsoft is extremely
good (in fact, probably the best company around) at distributing
software.  Think of it this way (very simplified), in order for people
to use your software, HAIR needs to happen.  That is, people need to:

  - Hear about it
  - Acquire it
  - Install it
  - Run it.

The more simple HAIR is, the more likely people will be running your
software.  The more difficult, the less likely.  Take MS Windows as an
example.  Having it pre-installed takes care of HAIR in one shot.  To
run it, all a person has to do is turn the machine on.

In the past HAIR for SFU has been pretty cumbersome.  I had to know
about it, but MS was keeping it quiet.  In order to get it, I would
have had to buy it.  I also would have had to be the person to install
it.  What a pain.

But now MS had simplified HAIR.  Hearing about it: I'm now seeing ads
on web pages.  Acquiring it: they're giving it away ... almost (see
below).  The next step by MS would be to focus on the Installation.
Can anyone say pre-installed or, at worst, a companion CD with Windows
Servers?  Simplify HAIR and people will use it.

> Repeat after me, "Google Is My Friend."
>
> Search on "Unix Services for Windows" and don't bother with anything
> but
> the first match.

I did.  To get it I need .NET Passport.  Uh, no thanks.  I'd rather
have someone point me to a URL (or even better a .torrent) where I
could download it.  But chances are MS won't allow this.  Which is why
I wanted to see the EULA.

> Just out of curiosity, why would you want to redistribute this?

I wouldn't, but other Windows users may.  Simplify HAIR and people will
use it.

Same goes for Linux, *BSD, and other OpenSource.  Simplify HAIR and
people will use it.  And if it's good enough, they'll keep using it.

Regards,
- Robert