Kismet questions

I'm sure this will end up being a simple question for someone, but I
sure can't figure it out.

I have downloaded Kismet from kismetwireless.net, and I've used Kismet
in the past on several other machines.  I can successfully use kismet if
I use Knoppix STD CD's, however I have yet to install it on any other
Linux OS and get it to work correctly.  I have used it a year or more
ago on RH8, but since then I haven't been able to get it to work outside
of that.  I've tried Mandrake 9.2, RH9, FC1, etc etc and I'm getting the
same basic error message about unable to put card into Promisc mode or
error opening Localhost:2501.  I am using a Cisco 350 card, and even a
Lucent WaveLan card that I use for my Netstumbler times.  LIke I said,
these two cards were used before with RH8 and kismet working fine.
Since thne Kismet has revamped and updated, and so have I.  Any suggestions?

I have even tried the RPM that Steve had given me at the last SILUG
meeting here in C'dale.
Ok now, any suggestions?
--
Scott Smith