Quake3 question

I've installed a legal copy of Quake III on the W2K/Pro system in my office.
Everyone needs a bit of fun now and then, right?

Problem is, Q3 refuses to start. The Quake 3 Console says it can't load the
'default.cfg' file. No surprise there ... there's no such file on my system.

Is there some sort of secret handshake I'm missing here?

I know this question involves W2K/Pro rather than Linux, but I'll probably run
into the same problem with Q3 on my Linux laptop once I get the fonts fixed.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL