Re: Newbie Install

goesbatu said:
> I'm getting the courage up to install Red Hat 6.1 on a relatively new
> made-for-Windows-98 system.  Instead of repartitioning a hard disk already
> using over two gigs for Windows, I think I'll just add a hard disk for
> Linux.  I have two IDE controllers:  One is controlling my hard drive with
> the secondary spot open; and, the second one is controlling the DVD.  So I
> think I'll make the Linux hard drive the secondary one on the primary IDE
> controller.  Just throwing this out there in case someone throws up a red
> flag and says there's a better way.

That will certainly work, and should even boot easily, but you don't
necessarily have to repartition.  There are programs to
non-destructively repartition disks, such as Partition Magic (a very
nice commercial program) or fips.

Of course, disks are cheap, so throwing another disk on isn't a bad
idea either.

BTW, once you get Linux running, you shouldn't need to reboot into
Windows.  See

    http://www.vmware.com/

:-)

(618)398-7320             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month