Desktop Apps for Linux (Re: Quick Books Pro Replacement?)

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> will run on Linux, but honestly I'd be surprised if there is anything
> of that quality at anything close to that price at the moment.  The
> one place where Linux is at a disadvantage to Windows at the moment is
> in standard desktop applications, financial applications especially.
> (For example, as far as I know, there are no tax programs for Linux,
> and I seriously doubt anybody will ever do one for free...)

Steve is quite right here.  We need more of these type applications if we
are to see Linux evolve much further.  While it's great as a server-type
OS, it lacks in desktop applications, free or otherwise.  There are a few,
Applixware, GIMP, Staroffice, etc.  While emulators are neat things to
play with, I don't see where they're the real direction to go.  We need
native apps for Linux to survive as a workstation environment.  As an OS,
Linux is far superior to Windows, so it would make sense that if there
were the same killer apps (or other apps that did the same thing) for
Linux, that Linux would have a chance of beating down the writhing beast
that is M$.  Take a look at the GIMP.  It's a perfect example of the type
of apps that Linux needs.  If you're a code hacker, and you're looking for
a project, start developing a Linux desktop app :D  If you're interested
in collaborating, I'm going to be starting a few side projects of my own
(hopefully one of them being this financial software like Quickbooks).
Anyway, enough rambling...

Koree