Proxy Server Question

I've been really wanting to do something for home and work... I want to make using a proxy server completely transparent.  I don't want to have to reconfigure my browser at all no matter where I go.  I use DHCPd at home and at work, and pretty much expect that everywhere else is to.  I want to make it so that If I use my laptop to dialin instead of going through my own network at home I won't have to reconfigure anything at all

Anybody have a clue how to do this?

I have set up Apache running with proxy support and can make netscape use it by manually configuring proxy stuff.

I know how to make ipfwadm redirect any outgoing web traffic to my local proxy server port 80.  If I do this without configuring proxy stuff in netscape, it doesn't send the full URL to the proxy server, so it assumes it is asking for a local page.

Is there any way to make apache proxy realize what address the browser was trying to go to and then go fetch that like it was a proxy request?

I know this sounds like something that might be a lot of work for something simple, but I'm trying to be a perfectionist here ;-)

Isn't it just awful when you go to visit someoen and either they don't have enough spare ethernet ports, or they tell you you have to configure your machine *manually*???