Re: unary operator expected

Matthew P Walker said:
> I just recompiled the kernel of a RH 5.0 machine for the first time after
> installing today.  After I recompiled, ALL of my startup scripts start
> complaining about "unary operator expcected" when I run them.  What did I
> do to make this happen and how do I fix it.

I don't know, but it happens on my machine too.  The easy workaround
is to find every line in /etc/rc.d/init.d/* like this:

    [ ${NETWORKING} = "no" ] && exit 0

and change it to this:

    [ "${NETWORKING}" = "no" ] && exit 0

I don't know why it isn't like that to start with (well, other than
the usual reason, that RH doesn't think)...  You could also try
forcing the environment variable NETWORKING to "yes" or something, but
that wouldn't change the underlying problem...

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month