Re: Ubuntu v. Fedora (overall)

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:45:33AM -0600, Nathan Nutter wrote:
> However, just to be clear Red Hat and Fedora are way more different
> than Ubuntu and Fedora are.

Well, the GUI is more-or-less the same between Ubuntu and Fedora, but
that's where the similarities end.  The low-level stuff (package
management tools, installers, that sort of thing) is identical between
RHEL/CentOS and Fedora.  There's no pain in transitioning between them
IF you ignore the GUI bits.

(Even some of the GUI bits are common though, actually.  We use
virt-manager on both Fedora and CentOS.  The CentOS version is almost as
current as the Fedora version.)

> If you wanted to compare Red Hat and Fedora you could make an almost
> equally compare Ubuntu and Debian stable.

Almost.  The installers are completely different.  Other than that,
ignoring the GUI bits, yeah, you're right.

(618)624-4440             | See web site for meeting details.