Re: LAMP Job...!

Tim,

Actually Evolution is interpreting and displaying the "&" character
quite literally and correctly. It's not trying to escape it with some
reserved character (such as itself). In that respect it handles the "&"
character no differently than the letter "A" in message fields that are
defined as plain text. Indeed the one and only reserved non-literal
character string defined in e-mail RFCs for the message data body is
"<CR><LF><CR><LF><.>". It means "Tha-Tha-Tha-That's All Folks".

In the context of a URL, we might think "Well, Evolution should know
better" when it comes to the "&" character. Upon closer examination,
though, that turns out to be nonsense. Why should Evolution have to jump
through special character set hoops because browsers have the lexical
equivalent of a speech impediment when it comes to displaying URLs? When
you save a local copy of a file pointed to by a HTTP://... string, h ow
many times have you had to rename it to change the "%20" strings to
ASCII space characters (" ")?

--Doc