Re: Wanting opinions...

On Friday 17 June 2005 11:43, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> OpenBSD **HAS** risen to a competitive
> status compared to the 'other' big environments
I really don't think it does, (even if you shout it with asterisks)
It might compete with Windriver, and the little guys, but it is not in the
same league as Linux and Windows.

In my line of work, embedded development, Linux is king, I have never, ever,
had a customer request OpenBSD, and if they did I would have to tell them it
was impossible because it wouldn't support the architecture.
Can you put BSD on a Coldfire processor? I'm running Linux on one.

>  Also , when
> was the last Debian release?-
That's a little misleading, Debian testing works quite well for desktops and
embedded platforms and releases upgrades daily.
I might not run base testing Debian on a server, but there are other higher
level distro's that use Debian as a base, cleaning it up and providing users
something they can depend on "out of the box"
i.e. Knoppix, Ubuntu

> Fast development cycle, get it done, lack of central heiarchy (Remember
> 'Catheral & the Bazaar?')
The kernel does have a central hierarchy.
And the several different distributions have them.
 I'm sure you can find distro's that don't, but you have the option not to use
them.

> If I want to put a server on the 'Net, I use OpenBSD.
As I'm not a net-admin, I'm not going to try to say too much about this, other
than the fact that Linux claimed to be impenetrable too, before it became
widely adopted. Is the server safe, or just so weird that hackers look for
more common prey?

> Can you imagine what it would be like to put 60 people
> in a room (albiet a big one) for a week doing team programming? Happens
> every year for the OpenBSD team (last month, actually).
I think you miss my point. I'm not saying the OpenBSD programmers are
incapable, or that their hack-athons don't accomplish anything.
I'm just saying that they don't accomplish as much as the armies of Linux
programmers out there, they are out manned. OpenBSD does not put out code as
fast as Linux, and it's not because their working harder at perfection, it's
because there are not as many of them.

> Different tools for different applications, each with it's own strengths and
> weaknesses.
Perhaps, but BSD cannot do all the things that Linux can.
And I don't know of anything BSD can do that Linux can't

IMHO:
De Raadt is scared(rightly so) of being crushed by the Linux movement and is
lashing out. His points are not valid, he is just spreading FUD to try to
keep his project alive.

NZG.