Re: Wanting opinions...

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 01:54:13PM -0500, NZG wrote:
> Can you put BSD on a Coldfire processor? I'm running Linux on one.

The NetBSD folks, who ejected de Raadt from the core development group
to begin with, are working on a port to the 5206e AFAICT.

> programmers out there, they are out manned. OpenBSD does not put out code as
> fast as Linux, and it's not because their working harder at perfection, it's
> because there are not as many of them.

Read http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/06/09/2128249.  It goes
contrary of what you're saying about the two groups aiming for
perfection.  The general breakdown:

    - As far as Linus is concerned, if it works, it works.
    - As far as the OpenBSD, NetBSD, and FreeBSD folks are all
          concerned, if it doesn't work well, it doesn't work.

> Perhaps, but BSD cannot do all the things that Linux can.
> And I don't know of anything BSD can do that Linux can't

Well, it depends on which BSD you're talking about.  They're all geared
toward some specific purpose, and generalizing the whole mob of them by
looking at one project is just not the way to go about it.

For example, the NetBSD folks are more concerned with having a portable
codebase (holy 28+ architectures supported, Batman!) and by maintaining
standards.  They're also geared toward performance to some extent or
another since a few of the developers get a kick out of squeezing as
much out of the portability as possible.

The OpenBSD mindset is centered on proactive security and strict
auditing of code, even if such a mindset breaks a lot of applications
that people use.

And I'm not sure about the FreeBSD group exactly since I've never really
looked into them; though, I'm sure it goes along the lines of
maintaining a 4.4BSD system built for general-purpose desktop and server
applications.

> IMHO:
> De Raadt is scared(rightly so) of being crushed by the Linux movement and is
> lashing out. His points are not valid, he is just spreading FUD to try to
> keep his project alive.

I generally just don't listen intently to what most of de Raadt has to
say, but I do keep some of it in mind from time to time.  He's a lot
like Stallman in his extremism, but occasionally, he'll spout something
intelligent.

--
Nathaniel Reindl
Fedora Core 3 kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC3 on an AMD Opteron 240