Re: Mozilla browser problems.

I agree that it is one or the other - either RPM or
source, but not both. On Mandrake, I had Firefox 0.9
installed via RPM, then I tried to manually build and
install Firefox 1.0. Big mistake, as I broke both. I
think it has to do with simlinks, MOZILLA_HOME
environment variables, etc. In my opinion, this is one
of the problems with Package-based systems, be
carefull when you manually install things. Installing
as a local user certainly helps, but the application
may still wind up looking at system-wide paths for
some things, and you may still have conflicts with
shared files (.dll purgatory?). YMMV

--- Ken Hagan <ken@alacrity-it.com> wrote:

> bentley_rhodes wrote:
>
> > hey, has anyone ever had a problem where they
> install mozilla from a
> > tarball (as root) and then the browser won't
> start?  i tried starting
> > it as root and it just hangs.  however, i
> installed the RPM but it
> > installed a previous version (1.7.3) and it does
> work (hence me
> > writing to you).
> > what basically happened is that i purchased a
> pocket pc and then
> > reinstalled windowsXP pro, and then decided again
> (after the
> > registration guy was asking me why i am
> reinstalling windows?!), to
> > put FC3 back on.
> >
> I tend to install Mozilla as the user who is going
> to use it.  I am
> doing it only on my linux workstations as I tend to
> not surf on
> multi-user machines.
>
> Installing it as the user seems to make plugins and
> things like that
> easier to install and maintain without having to log
> in as root.
>
> It also makes it much cleaner to uninstall as I know
> that _everything_
> related to it will be within the user's account
> space since the user
> doesn't have rights to stash stuff anywhere else.
>
> I've installed Mozilla 1.7.x, Thunderbird 1, and
> Firefox 1 on several
> FC2 boxes that way with no problems.
>
> -
> To unsubscribe, send email to majordomo@silug.org