Re: Mozilla browser problems.

bentley_rhodes wrote:

> hey, has anyone ever had a problem where they install mozilla from a
> tarball (as root) and then the browser won't start?  i tried starting
> it as root and it just hangs.  however, i installed the RPM but it
> installed a previous version (1.7.3) and it does work (hence me
> writing to you).
> what basically happened is that i purchased a pocket pc and then
> reinstalled windowsXP pro, and then decided again (after the
> registration guy was asking me why i am reinstalling windows?!), to
> put FC3 back on.

I tend to install Mozilla as the user who is going to use it.  I am
doing it only on my linux workstations as I tend to not surf on
multi-user machines.

Installing it as the user seems to make plugins and things like that
easier to install and maintain without having to log in as root.

It also makes it much cleaner to uninstall as I know that _everything_
related to it will be within the user's account space since the user
doesn't have rights to stash stuff anywhere else.

I've installed Mozilla 1.7.x, Thunderbird 1, and Firefox 1 on several
FC2 boxes that way with no problems.