Re: Router

> > WPA allows for 2 modes of operation, normal WPA mode where 802.1x authentication
> > is done via a radius server or WPA-PSK where every client has the same
> > key from the get go (psk = preshared key).
>
> NOTE:  Your comments are very _Windows_specific_.  ;->

???

> 802.1x is 802.1x, and various Host APs have been offering it for a long
> time.  With WPA, the IEEE has finally standardized some "required"
> mechanisms for authentication and negotiation of the symmetric key.

i never said 802.1x WASN'T 802.1x, actually i never said it was
anything, only that it was used in normal WPA mode

> > even just using wep is more secure nowdays than it used to be as the
> > implimentation was fixed in most products,
>
> ?  I thought the lack of authentication is the big problem.

actually the biggest hole was the implimentation that most vendors had
where the AP would broadcast an "initialization vector" that contained
24 bits of the key.

> And there is the fact that most cards still default to not requiring
> WEP, or searching out for Access Points which make them easy to fool.

for a home network i see no problem with this, for a corporate network
they will have a network guy set this up and if he leaves it in this
state then he is to blame.  the current state with operating systems
is that linux expects the user to know what he/she is doing (havent
used the kde wifi manager thing yet, it might change things a bit) and
windows xp warns and makes you check a checkbox before it will let you
connect to an unsecured wireless network.

to go back and address the thread starter, something i didnt think
about before, if this police station/office is planning on accessing
LEEDS(LEADS?) on the same network then it might not be legal for them
to use wireless.  you best have them find out if they are planning on
using it.