Re: AMD 64 3400+ processor

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 04:29:53PM -0600, bentley.rhodes wrote:
> has anyone heard, or tried the AMD 64 3400+ processor?

I'm not sure about the 3400+ specifically, but we keep Athlon64
processors and motherboards in stock...

> i was thinking about upgrading my computer (which is going to cost
> me about $500.00), and i was wondering if the 64-bit processor is
> worth it.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell people who come in our store...
If you can afford to go Athlon64 (and they really aren't that
expensive), do it right...  Skimp on the processor speed if you have
to, but go Socket 939, and make sure you get DDR400 memory in matched
pairs.

If this box is going to run Linux, make sure you get a motherboard
with a VIA chipset.

We're supposed to be able to get some Athlon64 boards with PCI Express
now...  I need to find out what chipset those are.  In any case, the
speed should be great.  I'm not positive how Linux-friendly they'll be
though...

(618)398-3000             | See web site for meeting details.