Re: bentley and FC3

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 16:29, bentley_rhodes wrote:
> Greetings, i'm using FC3 and i have a server box downstairs.  i have
> another computer upstairs, that i use for general purpose stuff.  i
> would like to turn the computer downstairs into a server.  it currently
> has one linksys ethernet card (eth4) on the first pci slot.

The first PCI slot from the AGP or closest to the CPU is not necessarily
PCI#1.

But the mappings in /etc/modules.conf (2.4) or /etc/modprobe.conf (2.6)
override your settings.  E.g.,
  alias eth0 3c59x
  alias eth1 3c59x
  alias eth2 3c59x
  alias eth3 3c59x
  alias eth4 tulip

> and the others are 3com 3c095b or c ethernet cards, clones i think.

The 3com 3c59x driver should drive all 3c59x as well as 3c90x cards, at
least they did the last time I checked.

> Now, i would like some help if anyone can?
> the eth4 card is SUPPOSED to be eth0.  aside from that, eth4 is
> connected to the aDSL modem, and i have set it up to automatically
> assign or take its address from the DHCP.  i set up eth3 and eth2 to
> have the exact same addresses:
> *  address                                     192.168.0.2
> *  subnet mask                             255.255.255.0
> *  default gateway address           192.168.0.1

???  Do you _physically_ have 5 NICs  ???
Or are you trying to do interface aliasing?

Just FYI, you typically want your _static_ IPs as the _lowest_ NIC
aliases.  And the DHCP assigned to the _highest_ NIC aliases.

> now when i type that into my eth3 card (which should be eth1), the plug
> icon doesn't connect.  if i say i am typing it in statically then it
> will, but if i came upstairs and typed it in, then it wouldn't connect
> from my Linux Computer.  Should the downstairs computer be automatically
> detect dhcp settings for eth4 eth3 and eth2?  Or should i set eth3 and
> eth2 statically?

What are your _physical_ connections to each?  I'm kinda scratching my
head.  If you have DHCP setup to NICs but they aren't connected to
anything, they will _fail_ to get anything but a 169.254.x.x address
(IPv4 LINKLOCAL).

> i have a DUMMIES book that is by Author Naba Barkakati, "Red Hat Fedora
> Linux 2 All-In-One Desk Reference" with a mini reference book titled
> _Networking_.  It kind of explains how to set up the downstairs computer
> as a NAT router, but it doesn't exactly spell it out.  For example, it
> does not say, right click on the eth0 icon and set it to static and
> enter this information.  I do not know if the IP address matters, but
> the gateway adress i read should be 192.168.*.* (or typically
> 192.168.0.1), the downstairs computer assigns a number to the last digit
> like 100 or 101 or something.  Granted it doesn't get any easier, since
> i have a WinXP computer i would like to hook up as well.  I've read
> something in there though, i think, about WinBinding or setting up a
> Wins.

NT Hardware+Protocol "Bindings" have nothing to do with "WINS"
resolution.  Or are you looking to setup WINS on your home network?
Understand that UNIX/Linux normally does _not_ use WINS to resolve
hostnames, only Windows does.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux