bentley and FC3

Greetings, i'm using FC3 and i have a server box downstairs.  i have
another computer upstairs, that i use for general purpose stuff.  i
would like to turn the computer downstairs into a server.  it currently
has one linksys ethernet card (eth4) on the first pci slot.  and the
others are 3com 3c095b or c ethernet cards, clones i think.  Now, i
would like some help if anyone can?

the eth4 card is SUPPOSED to be eth0.  aside from that, eth4 is
connected to the aDSL modem, and i have set it up to automatically
assign or take its address from the DHCP.  i set up eth3 and eth2 to
have the exact same addresses:
*  address                                     192.168.0.2
*  subnet mask                             255.255.255.0
*  default gateway address           192.168.0.1

now when i type that into my eth3 card (which should be eth1), the plug
icon doesn't connect.  if i say i am typing it in statically then it
will, but if i came upstairs and typed it in, then it wouldn't connect
from my Linux Computer.  Should the downstairs computer be automatically
detect dhcp settings for eth4 eth3 and eth2?  Or should i set eth3 and
eth2 statically?

i have a DUMMIES book that is by Author Naba Barkakati, "Red Hat Fedora
Linux 2 All-In-One Desk Reference" with a mini reference book titled
_Networking_.  It kind of explains how to set up the downstairs computer
as a NAT router, but it doesn't exactly spell it out.  For example, it
does not say, right click on the eth0 icon and set it to static and
enter this information.  I do not know if the IP address matters, but
the gateway adress i read should be 192.168.*.* (or typically
192.168.0.1), the downstairs computer assigns a number to the last digit
like 100 or 101 or something.  Granted it doesn't get any easier, since
i have a WinXP computer i would like to hook up as well.  I've read
something in there though, i think, about WinBinding or setting up a
Wins.  So all i ask for help with now, is merely the Linux portion.

thank-you;
bentley_rhodes@yahoo.com
hbrhodes@sbcglobal.net