Re: considering covad

At 02:25 PM 1/27/2004, you wrote:

> > Oh, and let's not forget that you can always drop your analog phone line
> > if you go ISDN.  That's a significant savings.
>
>Perhaps. I'm a bit leery about doing that because I'm not all that sure
>what hidden "gotchas" might attend. For example, can one connect a V.92
>analog modem to a wall plug that's actually an ISDN 2B+D port?

Nope.

>How about a normal analog telephone (of which I have several)?

No problem.

>Do the special codes (like *69 and *71) work the same?

Yep.

>If I answer an inbound telephone call, does the data rate drop from
>112kbps to 56kbps for the duration?

Yep.

>See what I mean? I really wouldn't mind trading off the $45/month cost of
>two analog lines for better overall service. If it's all plusses, great.

I don't really see how you could get 128Kbps for $40/month, .. especially
when it's $90 on this side of the river. The $40 rate here is for 20
hours/month.

>But if there are some minuses, I'd like to know in advance. If someone out
>there actually has upgraded to from classic analog to residential ISDN,

Did that in the early 90s. Worked great, .. but our costs were about
$140/month (line 24/7 + port charge). With IDSL at $109, it's the best deal
for data if you're too far for DSL or cannot get cable. If you're running a
server commercially, it's about the only choice other than SDSL (ADSL and
cable have extreme upstream speed restrictions).

         Lee