Mouse/Touchpad troubles

Here's the problem...

Dell Inspiron Laptop... Red Hat 9... When I first installed Red Hat I could
use the touch pad to move the mouse. That was good.  Then I got bored of the
touchpad and bought a USB mouse.   Then I started the machine with the USB
mouse,  Red Hat did the good thing and installed it for me to use.  And that
is all good for when I am at a desk and can use the mouse,  but when im in a
lecture class or just sitting in a chair, i want to use the touch pad.  And
it doesn't work.  Any ideas on how I can get both of these to play nice
together so I can move further into Linux and away from WinXP on my (dual
booted) Laptop? BTW,  both the touchpad and USB mouse work on the laptop,
and at the same too (its fun to have the two pointing devices fight for
control by useing both)

Thanks,
Ray