Re: samba silliness

Could it be a firewall problem? Recent RedHat installations will have the
smb port turned off by default, and I forget if this effects the local
connection also.

eks

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, paul wrote:

> HI Everybody,
>   Ok here's my situation, I have a RedHat box that I
> am trying to get Samba working on so that I can use it
> for storage.  I had to do some work to get the network
> card installed and alias the module during start up so
> that it would initialize.  I gave the card it's own IP
> since it's not going to be anything other than private
> storage.  Now I can get a connection through the linux
> box, so i know smb is working right on it, I even went
> and mounted it remotely successfully.  The problem is
> I can't get a windows computer to see it.  I've tried
> mapping it directly with both the NetBIOS name and the
> IP I gave it, but no avail.  Any suggestions/tips?
> The box that I'm trying to connect with is WinME.

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/