Re: nVidia is OS?

> and if i pull something from freshmeat chances are it doesnt muck with the
> kernel.  you find me a single thing on fresh meat that alters the kernel and
> i will find you a thousand.

Well, a search on "Linux kernel" on FM turned up 324 projects.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/zkshim/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/linuxquestions/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/linux-ow-patch/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/vesa3.0linuxkernelservices/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/yokelinuxkerneldriver/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/devled/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/11logger/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/acpmodem/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/advancedplaystationjoystick/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/afwd/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/alsadriver/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/amdk6-iictx-kernpatch/

You wanna bet very few of those contributors are RHCEs or RH employees?

> im talking about nvidia altering the kernel and
> knowing what they are doing vs redhat altering the kernel and knowing what
> they are doing.

What about Libranet? Or Xandros? or Mandrake or SuSE? Is there some
magical measurable criteria you use for determining "knowing what they are
doing"? Sales volume? Stock price? Employees? Please also disclose
financial interests in RH if that's part of your cheerleading too.

> redhat has a vested interest in pushing out a stable
> product on top of a tested stable kernel.  nvidia does not,

Baloney. nVidia has a vested interest in delivering high-performance 3D
drivers that DO NOT BREAK THEIR CUSTOMER'S SYSTEMS. Their interest is
no less noble than Redhat's. It's why their latest drivers/installers
make it even easier to deal with kernel upgrades.

It's certainly easier than dealing with binary API changes in, say, gcc. ;-}

> their market caters to the 95% who run windows, not the 2-4% who run linux.

All the more reason to make sure their market with the biggest potential
for growth (and believe me, they *definitely* care about growth) has a
great experience with nVidia hardware and related drivers.

nVidia sinks some money and programmers into XFree86 and the advancement
of high-performance 3d graphics. Redhat, on the other hand, doesn't.

That tells me that Redhat doesn't have their "kernel guys" looking to
make the kernel better for graphics cards - their market caters to the
95% who will *pay* for Linux, namely enterprises and for running servers,
not the 2-4% who will pay for a desktop/game-focused distro.

Mike808/