Re: Wells Fargo

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 21:05:19 GMT
 mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
>> I had an interview with Charter the other day and was told I'd get into
>> trouble if I was caught providing customer service to Linux OS users.

Customer service, I doubt.  Technical support, I believe.

<snip>

>Just as SBC can't tell you to go away if you have a RatShack phone and not
>an
>SBC phone, and you're having phone service trouble, neither Charter nor
>SBC should be able to decide you (the voter and consumer) are SOL. But the
>only place they will listen is in their cable contract negotiations.

They won't "tell you to go away."  They will say that they won't provide
technical support for your configuration unless the only system hooked
directly to the cable modem is a MS-Windows box.  It's never been a big deal
for me.  When I have issues with my cable modem service, I call and they ask
me what OS I'm running.  I tell them it's Solaris, and that I don't need OS
support.  Then they ask what the noticeable lack of service is, and I explain
it.  They tell me what IP's I should try pinging, or what lights I should
look for on my cable modem (Oooh-pretty...),  and they generally claim it's
an issue with line power (the cable modem has to have a certain level of
signal strength) or a bandwidth deprivation issue (On a shared medium like
cable broadband? Never! </sarcasm>).

I've never had a Charter tech tell me to "go away."  I've called about 20
times over the last two-three years, and have always recieved friendly,
albiet sometimes unhelpful, support.  Can't say that the Paul Allen has
nothing to do with it, but I'm sure the low end wages do.

>Mike808/

William
(Who constantly tells himself to build a Linux firewall-router, and get rid
of the 400W solaris box, but still hasn't done it.  Why?  Cause dual-proc
Sparc boxes are cool!?!?  I dunno...)

--
William Underwood
wllmundrwd@charter.net