suggestions

I'm looking for suggestions. I built this machine, a nice machine.
Soyo Dragon Plus (black) Motherboard
	Via KT333 chipset
	High Point on board IDE-RAID (channels 3 & 4 presently unused)
	DDR333 SDRAM (3 slots - up 3GB) 256MB installed
	5 PCI - 1 AGP Pro
	on board CMI 8738 audio chip (6 channel w/ optical and included SPDIF
daughterboard)
	4 USB 1.1 (2 back panel and 2 internal)
	4 USB 2.0 ( 4 internal connected via included 3.5" bay adapter)
	on board RTL 8100b NIC

Custom case
	Tri-color black pearl (could be red, blue or purple or black)
	custon lexan window w/ low power blue internal strip light
	400 Watt ATX power supply

GeForce2 MX200 64MB video (GeForce4 Ti4600 128 later when i get the cash)
Artec 32X12X48 CDR/CDRW
Artec 16X DVD
Western Digital ATA 100 7200 rpm 100GB hard disk

AMD Athlon 2000+ XP

I'm looking for OS suggestions and other things. Should I keep the CMI audio
(it could jam with the right output), I have a SB Live value card available.
Does ALSA support this audio chip? This machine will be used by the 2 of us,
anyone not know who the fabled halfling is, for things like weirrd karnel
compiles ( 8-P ) and video editing and monster renderings and such and to
provide an eerie blue night light. I imagine Tux Racer would run fair too!

I'd like to bring it to the September meeting to "hack" on. I could wait until
then to do an install but I want to see what this machine will do. Should I
put RH 7.3 on it? Limbo? Null? Things I want are 2.4.9-? kernel, KDE 3.0.?,
OpenOffice, Evolution, etc. Eh?

BTW, dumb question (I'm too lazy to figure it out myself) can I start
OpenOffice from a KDE desktop without typing ooffice from an xterm. I'd
prefer something on the desktop. And......................... isn't there an
rpm available for evolution the will install all the libs and .so's. Christ,
there is a 2 column list of depedencies that I don't have installed. I 2
finger type and it becomes quite a pain.

Anyone want to play?