Re: I got a big disk

One of my friends has a machine with 2 hard drives and a CDROM that has a hard time with Linux.  I suspect that there may be a problem with the way his hard drives are jumpered.  Symptoms:

Install Red Hat 7.0, and it works, but after booting the CDROM is no longer recongnized. (Perhaps it is trying to use the wrong device for the cdrom?)
Red Hat 7.1 installs, but fails to boot (even using a /boot partition at the beginning of the drive).
Red Hat 7.2 installs, but fails to boot.

Any ideas?

How do you know what the correct jumper settings are.  Is it different for each brand of hard drive?

Randy