Re: I got a big disk

Jamon Terrell wrote:
> Those are the exact errors that were produced with an older linux machine of
> mine  under ext3.  The problem for me turned out to be completely unrelated
> to the hard drive, ...

Well, a quick visit to Steve-O's and we installed it from a 3-ware card,
which worked just fine. He's used a couple of those same drives.

One of the things that we both noticed was that it didn't seem to like
being jumpered for Master/Slave at all, and didn't seem to have problems
when left on "Cable Select". This means the one on the end connector
is the "Master" and the one on the middle connector is the "Slave".

Since I've got removable cages on both connectors, swapping drives is
easy for me, and I leave the BIOS set on "Auto".

I didn't try the Cable-Select option, as the WD book made a big deal out
of it being the preferred configuration, but I couldn't find any docs on
this being supported by my BIOS. Turns out it is something that's
supported by the drives, not the BIOS - they autodetect their position
on the cable.

I suspect now, that had I setup the drive as "Cable Select" (like it
is now) and put it on the end connector, it probably would have installed.

I won't know, since Linux is on there now, and it works, so I'm not
going to risk having to make another trip over to Steve's if it doesn't
work. Then again, I might just bring it over for the BootCamp, so if it
doesn't work, well, I'm already there... :=)

Mike808/
--
() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against HTML email and Microsoft-specific
/\ attachments. If I wanted to read HTML, I would have visited your website!