Re: New Computer for Linux OS

<sales_pitch>

On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 08:50:29PM -0500, KoReE wrote:
> Have you ever built your own PC?  That's what I'd stick with.
[...]
> If building a system does not seem palatable to you, maybe Steve will give
> you a quote on a new system.  I doubt he'll sell you something that isn't
> Linux-friendly :D

I can also help with parts if you did want to build your own system...

> I'd rather anally ingest epoxy than buy an HP, or a Compaq, etc, and
> there are reasons for that which I will not get into here.

Although I do have an inexpensive Sony Vaio desktop here that seems to
run Linux nicely...

> I'd suggest looking at the Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO

Which, conveniently, I happen to be the maintainer of.  ;-)

</sales_pitch>

> BTW, the only brand-name PC I've ever bought was a Dell Poweredge server
> that our company voted on.  It runs Windows 2000, and in comparing all of
> the name-brand servers, Dell seemed to be the one I wanted to go with.

Interesting.  I've never really been that fond of Dell.  IBM used to
sell some *very* nice Intel-based workstations (the Intellistation),
but I haven't worked with their servers enough to have an opinion.
Compaq used to make a nice 1U rackmount server (the DL360), but I
don't care much for anything else from Compaq (non-Alpha, anyway ;).