Re: Metro East: Certification SIG meetings

William Underwood wrote:

> So, cert factory stamped, or not, certs do help, but only if they are

> backed up with experience.

Elaboration by the Kat

Warning long rambling reply

I'm currently going to Sanford brown to get my a.a.s. in network technology, and it's the same principal there, I'm paying them outrageous amounts of money to tell me things I already know ( 1.5 yrs network consultant/isp, 2 yrs netadmin novell/nt 3.51 4/win2k/linux/cisco), does it make me any better of an admin, I don't think so, so why am I doing it?

ANSWER:  the paper will get you past the HR bozos!!!!

Everyone should remember that your resume goes through on average of 3 people before ever getting to someone who has the slightest clue of what is going on, the people in HR don't know what tcp/ip means or does, they don't know if you can configure a cisco 2610 router or for that matter what a router even is, these are your typical lusers, I mean users (LART!), in order for them to be able to (supposedly) do there jobs you have to give them clear, concise, simple, easy to understand objectives (can you say "trained monkey", I knew you could), in other words, look for these buzzwords "MCSE, CCNA, LPI, RHCE, CNE, A.A.S., etc.", some of these company's know that there hr people are so clueless that they put on the job announcement "A degree", which means that you could have a B.S. in growing Astroturf and no other qualifications and you would still get past hr, so personally I don't believe that certs have any significance on anyone but the clueless masses, <revelation> but wait aren't those the people we work for</revelation>, in conclusion if your prospective employer or current boss is not a geek then certifications will get you hired and get you raises, but if your boss is a geek then your performance/intelligence will do the trick, oh but be careful on how many letters you have behind your name because you could become "over qualified" then no one will hire you, is starting to seem like some sick game that executive management came up with, hmmm

Sorry I just spent an hour with a consultant that management brought in to find our "inefficiencies", what a waste of time that was, next they'll be giving me surveys, ahhh the horror

Bob T. Kat

Tyler Durden: "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."

  --Fight Club --