Re: sendmail

Casey Boone wrote:
> my employer is forcing me to give myself a crash course in setting up a full
> out linux server, but im having some trouble setting up sendmail

one word "postfix", it is sooooooo much better of a mail server,
especially in config terms.

> also does sendmail do pop3? or is it smtp only?

yes, i've used the pop3 server that comes with SuSE for my pop3 access.
the only problem is that authentication seems a little doggy, but thats
probably just something somewhere misconfigured, oh well. but i'm
planning to go to qpopper 4 from eudora.

> anyone know of an easy to use config util for sendmail?

i don't really like using automated or graphical utils to setup up
server services, to much to go wrong, when i can just very cleanly go
through a text or a couple of text files and fix what i need.  I
understand that the last statement does not apply to the sendmail (line
noise like) conf.

good luck, and once again look at postfix mail server as an
alternitive.  http://www.postfix.org/