Re: Red Hat vs Debian distros

 On 08/01/2010 10:31 PM, Kevin Thomas wrote:
> I was just curious as to which flavor of Linux people prefer.....Red
> Hat derivatives or Debian derivatives and for what purpose.
> Personally, I much prefer Debian based distros such as Ubuntu, Linux
> Mint, and Mepis.  However, we only use Red Hat Enterprise Linux at
> work, which is why I'm currently trying to learn some Red Hat.  I've
> installed CentOS 5.5 in a virtual machine so I can play around with
> it.  Anyway, I was just curious to see what you folks prefer.  Thanks.
>
> Kevin

For my laptops, I tend to use the latest Fedora because I like shiny new
packages. On servers, I like RHEL/CentOS as that's what the majority of
my clients use and the more that are standardized on one distro, the
fewer misc distro-specific commands and configurations I have to remember.

I will say working primarily with python/django as my webapp language of
choice causes a lot of support issues due to many python libraries that
I use having python 2.5-specific syntax or requirements and CentOS
shipping a yum-dependent python 2.4. There's a solution to this, but it
causes me to package and host a repo for clients with mostly support
packages. From experience, this downside for me is more than worth the
effort with all the upside that standardization and release stability by
RHEL brings.

Brandon Adams