Re: External HDD Format?

I second Matt's ext4 recommendation, and I'll take it one step further.
If really huge files are involved, USB2 at 480 Mb/s can be a major
bottleneck. If possible, upgrade that connection to eSATA.

Don't get hung up between eSATA 1 (1.5 Gb/s) and eSATA 2 (3.0 Gb/s).
Only the latest exotic (e.g. Intel) solid state disks need eSATA 2. With
rotating hard drives, eSATA 1 should be more than enough.

--Doc