abnormal modem traffic

Hello All,

I'm running pre-intalled Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell 530n and all was
exceptionally good until a week or so ago. I am now getting almost
coninuous modem/router traffic, even when the computer is turned off.
It's a Verizon Westell 6100 modem and a Netgear WGR614 router. Both were
previously silent until I initiated internet activity.

Also, I have lately been receiving a number of spam emails with myself
showing as sender.

Don't know if the two are related.

Have I become a zombie? How can I check?

thanks,
Leon