Re: rsync's --exclude= syntax

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 18:35 -0500, Casey Boone wrote:
> depending on what everyone's cygwin needs are, it might be served better
> by unxutils.sf.net instead.  everything i ever used cygwin for for the
> most part can be found in it.
>
> Robert Citek wrote:
> > Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> >
> >> For everyone, the object of this exercise was a script that allows me
> >> to rsync the Cygwin project.
> >>

> > I haven't install Cygwin in years and only use it occasionally on one of
> > our servers.  One of my issues with using Cygwin was managing packages -
> > setup.exe was a bear to work with.  Does Cygwin now offer something like
> > apt or yum?
> >
> > Regards,
> > - Robert

I use Cygwin primarily for secure remote console access to Windows 2000
and 2003 servers. If you are serious about security, a tailored Cygwin
installation can enhance Windows' capabilities in important ways. Since
the GNU sources are well known and their compilation process can be
audited, Cygwin has an added measure of trust not available from other
products.

Robert it right about setup.exe being twitchy. I'd like to have an
option to refer to a package install list separate from setup.ini. That
way I could lock down what gets installed and what doesn't. I don't want
compilers and other development stuff resident on a production server,
no matter what OS it's running.

--Doc