Linux and Multiple NICs with Multiple Default Gateways

I've used Linux with multiple NICs in the past, however only as a FW
w/NAT or a Server with inside and outside IPs.

Now I have my first instance where I have a machine with multiple NICs,
eth0 and eth1, and I want to configure both for Internet facing IPs.
I.e. Load Balancing.  However, my current issue is that Linux doesn't
like multiple Default Gateways.  If I configure it in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and eth1 with the GATEWAY=
command, eth1 over writes eth0's DG, and therefore only eth1 has the
ability to get off the local LAN.

I've tried the 'route' command as well, and have the same results.  I
can see both DG's with the route statement, but only the last one
entered works.

How do I configure the machine so that Both NICs can be seen externally?
--
Scott Smith
Network Engineering Services