Re: Partitioning XP

Tim McDonough <tim@mcdonough.net> wrote:
> Bryan,
> I've seen this caution several times in the past. Does this
> refer to a physical disk being moved to another machine
> with files on it

Yes.  It is dangerous to write to a NTFS filesystem and
modify SAM-SID meta-data on files the NT installation doesn't
know about.  In other words, a NTFS filesystem that has
SAM-SID meta-data that was only in the other system's
registry.

> or is there even a danger if the files are being done
> across a network?

You use the SMB protocol across a network.  There are two
modes SMB works in:

1.  Workgroup -- each systems maintain their own SAM-SID.
When accessing a remote system, you give remote credentials
to log into that system.  Only the remote credentials go on
that remote system, so your fine.

2.  Domain -- the domain is its own SAM-SID.  When accessing
a remote system, you must provide domain credentials.  Domain
SAM-SIDs go on that remote system, so you are also fine.

The only issues you run into are when you move local disks.

Domain controllers don't use their local SAM-SID, they
inherit the domain SAM-SID.  Sans a few "goofs" by Microsoft,
this is fairly safe.

Domain members are more problematic because they have local
SAM-SID and domain SAM-SID.  The safest bet is to ensure you
_only_ share NTFS filesystems that do _not_ have _any_ local
SAM-SID info on them.

E.g., if you are going to setup a member server with shares,
format the drives, NTFS and shares on a domain controller
_first_, then move them to a member server.

In reality, the "safest" NT server is one that is also a
domain controller.  That forces it to not use its local
SAM-SID.

mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org     |  (please excuse any